How to improve your health in natural ways
It's becoming increasingly common for people in the UK to support their healthy lifestyle through natural remedies and therapies, rather than through the NHS.
Whereas people used to go to the doctor as a first port of call, now 48% prefer to find their own treatment to problems and 21% take up natural alternatives (according to research by The School of Health).
People are also starting to recognise the importance of a good diet, better drinking and smoking habits and regular exercise in maintaining their wellness.
For inspiration on how you can boost your health and decrease your reliance on the NHS, here are the top 20 ways that Brits are preventing illness through natural remedies.
1. Eat lots of fruit and vegetables – at least five a day
2. Drink lots of fluids – ideally water or sugar-free drinks
3. Take vitamin or mineral supplements where needed
4. Get eight hours of sleep a night
5. Walk in nature
6. Do regular weekly exercise
7. Get extra sleep when you need it
8. Drink honey and lemon to soothe the throat and cold symptoms
9. Take regular holidays to destress, unwind and expand your horizons
10. Eat lots of spices (including turmeric, nutmeg or cinnamon)
11. Limit your alcohol intake
12. Eat fish several times a week, or other sources of good oils and omega fatty acids
13. Eat lots of herbs (such as coriander, basil or rosemary)
14. Eat foods rich in vitamins
15. Lay off drinking alcohol altogether
16. Avoid processed foods
17. Limit your caffeine intake
18. Drink smoothies
19. Drink herbal teas (such as peppermint, camomile, green tea or red bush)
20. Limit your chocolate intake (dark chocolate is best if you can't resist)
How do you like to keep yourself healthy?
Share your tips on Twitter or in the comments section.